Monday, March 19, 2012

Progress

I feel like I have been learning a lot of things lately. For the last almost two years Chris and I have both struggled with our personal scripture study. We have been diligent in our scripture study as a couple but have always struggled with individual scripture study. Some thing changed in the last month or maybe just a couple of weeks and we both haven't missed a day (this is NOT me tooting my horn). Reading from the scriptures on a daily basis allows me to learn and gain much needed perspective on a daily basis. I feel happier. Every day when I read I find something that helps me to be a better mother, wife and woman of God. On Sunday morning Chris didn't have to go to meetings and we found ourselves feeding the girls their morning bottle in our bed. As we cuddled them close and then began to play with them and hear the delightful sounds of laughter I thought to myself THIS is a taste of Heaven. This is joy.

Tonight for our 15 minute FHE before Chris went back to school we watched Mormon Messages for Youth, a video inviting people to watch General Conference and then one on Dirty Windows. I remember President Monson giving this prophetic counsel in 2010 and the words are much more meaningful to me right now than ever.

There is really no way we can know the heart, intentions, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to critize. Thus the commandment to judge not. 

We also had Ward Conference this Sunday. It was wonderful. Something that really stuck out to me was that if we were to really look at people we would see
hurt,
discouragement,
dissapointment,
sadness,
or worry.
 It is when we start looking at people this way that we are able to over look hurtful actions or harmful words. Another thing that I took to heart was that in conflict both sides are looking at the ways that they are right. In actuality both sides are WRONG! (This is something I always remember after a fight with Chris...not that that ever happens)

So here is to another new beginning (thank goodness we get lots of these).
Daily Scripture study. Patient. Loving. Forgiving. Kind. Prayerful. Finding joy in the journey. Not judgemental. These are on my to be list (okay, okay I know scripture study is a do item).

Oh and another quote that I came accross in the last week was this...
When we are not progressing we are NOT happy.

I love it. It is SO true.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this Laura. With sickness happening after ward conference I had forgotten some details and I appreciate that you noted a couple of quotes that stuck out for me too! You are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete