Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sisters

Yesterday Abigail was sick. When she threw up on me I wanted to cry, not because of the vomit, but because she was sick- a new sick never before experienced. She looked sad and her poor forehead was all red. I felt it (her forehead) after she had thrown up and she was burning up. I stripped her down and gave her Tylenol. She sat close and still for a long time (something that has become very un-common). I had a cold cloth that I put on her to cool her down. (She sat with a face cloth on the top of her head for a while and it looked quite funny). I was stressed out and wishing Chris was home and that someone could play with Isabelle so that I wasn't feeling torn between the two.
As the afternoon unfolded I was very surprised by my little Isabelle. She is my girl one who never likes to stay in the same place for more than a few minutes. She is always looking for something new and exciting to do. She is always wanting to be chased and tickled. She is active and loves to pull things off the shelves and run away! I saw this little girl mesmerized by Abigail when I was holding her close and just starred, it felt like she was thinking what is wrong with my friend?
Abigail attempted lots of naps which meant I rocked her to sleep several times (only to have her wake up when I put her down or have her sleep on me for 30 minutes at a time) and as a result Isabelle played alone a lot yesterday... lots of times contained in the playpen in the living room with toys. I would come out and see her curious wide eyes above the railing looking in delight that I was coming towards her. Not once did she whine or cry out because she was alone.
At 6:15 last night I could tell they were both exhausted so I made their bottles and carried Abigail back to their bedroom with Isabelle hot on my heels. We sat on the floor to have bottles. Isabelle couldn't sit still so I let her play while I fed Abigail. Abigail's eyes fluttered in and out of sleep the entire bottle. I wrapped her up and put her in her crib. I then wrapped up Isabelle and got in the rocking chair and fed her a bottle. As I sat there in the dark with my little girls close and me singing to them I couldn't help but feel profound gratitude for my Isabelle. She saved the day. She was sweet and patient with me and her sister. It had been a hard day for her too. She fell fast asleep as I fed her her bottle and I sat there rocking her into a deep sleep looking at my little wonder in my arms.
While I fed Isabelle her bottle, Abigail had unwrapped herself, stood up and fell and bonked her head. Thankfully she stopped crying quickly and sat patiently waiting for me. When I decided I had held my Isabelle long enough I put her in her bed. I then got Abigail and wrapped her up and gave her the rest of Isabelle's bottle. She fell fast asleep too. I sat there starring at her. This sweet little girl was fast asleep after a long hard day.
Today when the girls woke up we fed them and put them to play in their room. We didn't hear them for an hour. When we would check on them we would find them close playing with their toys. They were happy to have each other again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is the cutest post of my life. I love those times when you just feel so incredibly in love with your kids that you can't even describe it. What great girls. I love them

    ReplyDelete