Sunday, January 8, 2012

One Year Older and Wiser Too

I just sat down on the couch and looked at the time 6:51pm. The girls are warm in bed with fully bellies and clean bums. My days work is almost done. The dishes still need to be done from a fast Sunday dinner feast but that can wait. Chris is home teaching and the house is quiet. I have spent copious amounts of time cleaning and de-cluttering my house all week, tonight I just want to blog. I just thought about what one year ago would have been like. What I would have been doing on a day such as this? I was not a mother of born children yet. I was probably around 23 weeks pregnant and starting to feel "big" (I actually just looked back at a blog from a year ago and I was already measuring 34.5cm!!). I started blogging just shy of one year ago. Oh how things have changed in the last year.
Today I have been in awe with my children. They make me laugh and smile in pride (the good kind) every day. Today was no exception. At church people complemented us on how quiet and peaceful they are. I watched them play with other kids and love it; this brought a smile to my face. I watched them "read" books quietly during Relief Society. I held them as they peacefully fell asleep as I whispered primary songs to them. I held them close and rocked them while they slept. I watched them pull themselves up to reach the nearly impossible item with success. I saw the determination that they possess as they tried and tried again to do whatever was on their mind. And tonight as I prepared dinner they crawled around the kitchen and living room. They stood up holding onto the couch, printer, my leg, chairs, book shelves and the computer printer. Never straying too far from one another or going back to each other after a few minutes of gallivanting alone. Then to my delight I hear them start laughing. I look up (or start really paying attention to them not the food) to see them chasing each other around the couch; Isabelle hot on Abigail's trail with Abigail laughing and squealing in delight.
I am so glad to be a mother. Some days are hard. Some days I don't know if I can make it until the end. But most days bring joy and happiness and peace. Sometimes I think to myself what did I do before I was a Mom and never think of much. Yes I went to school and got a degree and worked and had fantastic experiences but there is not one moment when I want to go back to just me or just Chris and I. Those days were good but these days are great. So here is to one year older and wiser too!
I wonder what I will be doing in another year from now. I guess one thing I will already know- Chris will be getting close to graduating! I suppose a lot of change will happen in a year from now.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post Laura. You do have wonderful girls! It is scary and wonderful how much can change in a year.

    ReplyDelete