Today I had what feels like a practically perfect day! The girls and I dropped Chris off at work and then proceeded to Tim Hortons for breakfast and then to Walmart for a shop. Sadly, Walmart is the only thing open at 8:45am. We got home at about 9:45. I quickly put the girls in bed, changed into stretchy pants and worked out and showered before they fed at 11. The above for me makes for a great day, but it got even better. By noon the girls were EXAUSTED and went down to bed. I had a delicious lunch and then cuddled my over tired having, a hard time falling asleep, Abigail (she sleeps in our bed during daytime naps so they don’t wake each other up). We ended up both falling asleep. I woke up and gently removed myself from the bed. She woke up and put up a pathetic fight and was back to sleep within minutes. Isabelle and Abigail slept until 2:20 and 2:45 respectively. What did I do while they slept? I prepared dinner but MORE significantly I read the new Relief Society book. I had lunged into reading it as soon as I got it but haven’t lifted it up as often as I would have liked.
Yesterday my mom told me about how much she is loving it and this re-kindled my desires. In my efforts to me more focused and have some study time of my own I decided to recommit myself, YET AGAIN, to reading good books or scriptures when the girls sleep.
Well the book is AMAZING. I already knew it but now I want to tell everyone about it! You know how in life there are things that bog you down, stress you out, make you feel like life is hard? I.e. money, exercise, weight, friends, relationships, responsibilities, work, school, etc etc. Well I think we all have those feelings but as I read that book I felt all my stress wash away, I felt all my loneliness wash away and I was filled with peace, joy and happiness.
What made me feel like this? Well I have been thinking about it and I THINK it gives great perspective on living the gospel. It lets you learn from others experience. It helps you realize that you are a woman and allows the flame of divinity burn brighter within you. It shows you that people live through hard things grounded in their faith. It gives examples of other people experiencing the hand of the Lord in their lives daily. It teaches of the profound responsibility, opportunity and gift we have been given to be a part of the world wide Relief Society Organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It teaches us to have faith, hope and charity; to strengthen home and family, increase personal faith and righteousness and help the poor and needy. In essence it teaches the purpose of Relief Society.
Why is this important? It teaches us as women what it is we need to do as Disciples of Christ in this day and age. It teaches us of the importance of who we are as woman. There are many organizations in the world today that profess to do good but none compare to the millions who are members of this largest women’s organization in the world. What we are doing is not new. Since the church was organized woman have been doing what we are doing. The circumstances are differnet but the principles of the gospel are the same. What are we trying to do? To do good to improve ourselves and to teach and uplift our family is what we are trying to do as women. We are also trying to return home to our Heavenly Father.
I will only share one quote that stuck out to me today. It was very powerful to me because I know I get caught up in seeking others approval OR in other words seeking to have others notice what I do or the progress I make. This often leaves me feeling like the things I do are not good enough because not all the time someone compliments the work or the effort etc. (I don’t think I am alone on this… women seek others approval… it’s a fact of being a woman). This is the quote by Eliza R. Snow “We like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters? We know the Lord has laid high responsibilities upon us, and there is not a wish or desire that the Lord has implanted in our hearts in righteousness but will be realized, and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and ennobling to qualify us for those responsibilities.”
This made me think of lots of different things. It applies to all of our relationships and also the duties we perform. I think we can get so caught up in feeling taken for granted for BUT in the end none of it matters as the Lord will reward our righteous efforts.
I couldn't agree more. This is my Sunday book and I have loved reading it. It has helped me realize what a privilege it is to be a member of the Relief Society and deepened my love and appreciation for it. That quote was definitely one that I underlined.
ReplyDelete