Chris and I went to the clinic and waited eagerly in the waiting room. We got in the room and I laid down on the stretcher and pulled up my shirt (I didn't have a belly... yet) and the warm jelly was applied. The ultrasound tech put the doppler on and quickly said, "You are not going to believe what I am seeing" to which I thought you can NOT be that insensitive, if I was having a miscarriage you would NOT say that so I was curious... we both looked at her inquisitively. She said "I see two heads!" I don't remember my initial words nor do I remember Chris's BUT I can assume it was something like "are you serious?" I remember Chris and I looking at each other and laughing SO much during that 35 minute ultrasound. Chris said to me "I told you I had a dream that we were having twins... remember?" (Yes I did remember him saying that a few days earlier... I also remembered my response I had told him YA RIGHT not us!!) Details: each have their own placenta (which is ideal becuase there isn't a high liklihood that one will steal all the nutrients from the other), own placenta is usually indicitive of FRATERNAL twins (yes it is my fault... two little eggs decided to come at once). One of their placentas is at the back of my body (by my spine) and one on the front of my belly- something I thought was insignificant BUT have learned that I don't need to worry that I feel one WAY more then the other- the placenta takes the blows from Baby B!!
Twin A (on the left of my belly)
Twin B (the right side of my belly)
Both of the little ones
So finding out we were having twins was A SHOCK, but I must say that it made the both of us genuinely pleased as punch. We had been going through a lot of struggles with work and feeling like nothing was working out and that life was just in general HARD. The day we found out we were having twins the winds seemed to shift- and the news of our little ones brightened us.
When we drove away from the clinic I said "we have to tell my parents"- the rest of the day was spent on the phone... the reactions were all the same "you're kidding me," followed by laughter, followed by "that is amazing." There were a couple different ones- my mom thought I was lieing to her and I had to convince her that I was indeed not telling a lie, making a joke, or pulling her leg that I was serious. The call to my dad ONLY consisted of him laughing.
After the shock wore off, I spent a week or two gathering information- thanks to my sisters and their friends with twins my preparations were under way.
Chris and I are truly very happy to be having twins, and no these won't be our only two children! (We get that ALL the time... "oh great done in one shot"). Yes it will be a bigger then expected adjustment but we are ready for the challenge... together! haha
Awesome!
ReplyDelete