About a month ago Chris and I started looking for places to live in Victoria. We were SO tired of our home that has become so cramped. We also had agreed to move out of our current place September 1- they had offered to pay our July rent if we moved out August 1. We had concluded that it would be best to move for August 1 for obvious reasons and so the house hunt began. We were looking for 3bedroom places and the cheap ones we found were between 1550-1700/mo. We fell in love with one place but as we started talking about it on the way home we discovered that we would spend 30 thousand in RENT for the year and that we both felt sick about paying that much money. In that conversation we starting talking about moving but decided we really had nothing to take us anywhere else. No job, no school etc. We left it at that.
That weekend we headed up to Port Alberni for a family reunion. On Sunday my sister Rachel called (repeatedly) because she was FULL of excitement and really wanted to tell my mom and dad about a couple of families that had moved into Nanaimo Ward. One of which had moved for a MBA (Masters of Business Administration) at Vancouver Island University. My ears (that are always on keen alert to hear little tid bits of information) heard this and my jaw dropped. Within minutes I was on my parents DIAL- UP internet researching the MBA program. I found out that it was a double degree giving the MBA and also a degree in International Business. I looked at the requirements and knew that Chris met them all, the program is only 14 months, and the price seemed so great too (fifteen thousand dollars less than Royal Roads). Then my eyes fell on the start dates and application due dates. Well turns out he could start in October 2011, or June 2012 and the application deadline for October (the preferred start date) was passed- April 30.
On the way home from Port Alberni to Victoria we talked a lot about potentially moving to Nanaimo, and how Chris felt about the program (he has considered a MBA for years). We decided that we should contact the director and see if they would accept a late application.
I called VIU the next day several times until I got through to the director. He was a friendly man on the phone and said well we have never done that before but let me talk to the director of admissions and I will get back to you. He called on Friday to let us know that they would indeed accept the late application. We both spent our free time the next few days getting transcripts ordered, reference letters lined up, resume and cover letter written etc. On Tuesday of the next week we faxed away the application.
Yesterday Chris got an email of ACCEPTANCE into the FALL 2011 program! We are thrilled. Chris has wanted to get back to school but wasn’t entirely sure of what he wanted to do and spent the year considering MBA or Law degree.
There is no doubt in my mind that all these things fell together perfectly for a reason. It also makes me very grateful that despite the internet telling us we were too late that by taking initiative we made something wonderful happen. It is no wonder why there is a saying "The Lord move in mysterious ways."
I have LOVED looking at places to rent in Nanaimo for the last 2 weeks. They are so much cheaper and most are re-done with dishwashers in them!
I have lived in Victoria for the last 5 years and Chris the last 6 on and off. It is with a just a little bit of sadness that we leave. BUT who knows we may be back!
I love your blog! We will miss you, but Naniamo is a great place. At least you're still on the island! So happy things are falling into place for you!
ReplyDeleteDon't tell people I phoned repeatedly!!!! ;) OK, so I was excited and I'm even MORE excited now that you guys are joining the party. Can't wait to be closer.
ReplyDelete