So... where to begin... Chris and I met back in 2006 when I moved to Victoria to attend nursing school at Camosun College. We were in the same Young Single Adult Branch, and to be quite honest I don't know if we even talked until 2008.
My first real memory of him is one night him being at my house on Feltham with a large group of people and for some reason we were all talking about our hopes, dreams and aspirations. Chris started talking about "building an empire" not having one handed to you and building this empire with his wife. He talked about other things (to be honest I can't remember exactly what now) BUT I do remember that everything he said I agreed with. At one point in the night he said something to the effect that we should get married becuase we agreed on everything. I thought nothing of this event until later when lying in bed, Alison (Harding) Wight, my bed mate, brought it up how much in common we had and that we really should get married.
Fast forward another year maybe even more, and Chris and I became real friends. It may have happened sooner but Chris was studying at Utah State in Logan Utah and would return to Victoria for summer employment. The summer of 2009 I found myself in practicum working 4 days on 5 days off at the hosptial. Chris and I started to really enjoy each others company.
General Conference weekend was fast approaching and Chris was heading down to go to conference, he called me up, I think Tuesday or Wednesday of the week prior and said "Hey I'm driving down in the Crapo's van, want to come with me?" Many conversations ensued and I thought to myself WHERE will I stay? I don't know anyone there, WHATwill I do? Does he like me (I can admit now that I did like him at this point in time)? Turned out I spent the time at his grandparents condo with him and his family. The drive down was great. I remember waking up in the middle of the night to see him singing along to Beastie Boys and I just started laughing. Since then the "Egg Man" has become one of our favorite songs. We had tickets to conference (thanks to my hook ups with my Dad) and we went to two sessions together and he went to the Priesthood Session. While going through security into the Conference Center I smiled at the man who was watching me as I walked through the scanner- and he then asked Chris "Do you know this girl" he of course said "Yes" and the man said "You don't let her go she's got a great smile!" I of course heard this and thought to myself, oh wouldn't that be wonderful!!
So after the conference trip was such a huge sucess, I found myself thinking "ok what is going to happen now, does he like me or not?". Chris returned from Utah a week later then I (I flew back right away) and spent much of his time at my house- I think he was there every night until 3 or 4 am- with no word of HOW he felt!! I was dying inside but knew him well enough not to pressure the relationship status.
On November 1 2009 he held my hand at a CES broadcast, after he had spent the day at my house and he had actually touched me... I KNEW something was coming. The next day he said "So I guess we are dating hey" and I said "Sounds great to me". We spent the next six weeks spending hours and hours talking and laughing and yes I cooked for him a lot. We honestly didn't have one fight until after we were married. We agreed on everything, I would even say that we agreed passionately on things. I remember Chris would ask me highly debated questions and make me think my way through it and then tell him the conclusions I came to... I passed with flying colors!
Chris left to go back for his final semester at Utah State on December 18, and prior to his leaving informed me of his intentions and desire to marry me. I rememeber we were cuddled up on the couch and he told me he loved me for the first time and that he wanted to marry me practically in the same sentance! I can't lie I had thought all the same things just hadn't verbalized them.
The next four months I think might have felt like the longest four months of my life. I went to visit him in February, shortly after his return from Haiti after the earthquake, he came here in March and proposed, and then I went there in April for General Conference, and he returned home to Victoria on May 2 just after the Vancouver Temple Dedication.
Being the master planner that I am I had everything planned for our wedding in my head before he had put a ring on my finger. Chris was the perfect groom and was great with everything I wanted. Everything I hoped for for our wedding and reception happened and I would say smoothly. I even got my dream date, we were married on June 26, 2010 in the Vancouver British Columbia Temple. That was the best day of my life!







No comments:
Post a Comment